Thank you for the wonderful feedback about my first post about Winter Olympics glossaries! I am so happy you found it useful! However, in that article I covered only ice sports, so today we are going to speak about skiing, snowboarding, and nordic events.
First of all, I'd like to remind you about Sochi 2014 general glossary (English-Russian). You can find a lot of useful terms there. And if you need more extensive glossaries about specific sports, here are the best resources I could find for you.
Alpine and freestyle skiing- Skis.com has a pretty extensive glossary of skiing terms
- Alpine skiing glossary can be found on NBC Olympics website
- Did you know that skiers have their own slang? Here's a useful list of expressions and definitions. To be honest, I think some expressions can hardly be considered slang, but the resource is still worth mentioning.
- Freestyle skiing glossary of terms
- Inside freestyle skiing: NBC Olympics glossary
- English-Russian glossary of alpine skiing
Snowboarding- Ski and snowboard glossary
- English-Russian snowboarding vocabulary
- Here's also a good list of terms, jargon and abbreviations used in snowboarding
Biathlon, cross country skiing, ski jumping and nordic combined- Sochi 2014 glossary for biathlon, cross country skiing, and nordic combined (PDF-file)
- Biathlon glossary
- About.com website also offers a list of downhill and cross country skiing terms with definitions
- This ski jumping glossary is not very large, but it can be quite useful.
- And here's a complete website about ski jumping, including history, rules, equipment, and glossary of terms.
- Here's also a small nordic combined glossary. It has just three terms, but very good explanations.
Hope you find this list just as helpful as the previous one. And if you find any other useful resources, please share them in comments!
Your Professional Translator
Like this post? Share the love!