Translator * Editor * Blogger * Russian native speaker * Heart for languages * Love studying different cultures * English teacher * Tutor * Social media fan * Love animals * Mom * Can't live without romantic movies * Love listening to silence * Language is musicHi! Thanks for stopping by :) My name is Olga. I am a Russian native speaker, a freelance translator from English and German into Russian, and since 2014 head of training department at LinguaContact Language and Translation Company (the biggest online translator courses in Russia!). You can find out more about my services here (that page needs an update, but I am working on it). I can't even remember the exact time when I decided to become a translator. It seems such an inseparable part of who I am now. I love languages and I can't imagine my life without getting to know other cultures and learning to interact with people from other countries. And of course I love and respect the culture of the country where I was raised.
Back in 2011 I was given a Versatile Blogger award. One of the requirements was to share some facts about myself. The list I am sharing now is a bit different because life goes on and some of my interests and goals have changed. If you don't want to read it you can skip it and go browse my blog for interesting articles. If you are still interested, here are some fun facts for you:
1. Back when I was in primary school, my father was very happy to learn that I liked English. Since then he always bought children's books in English for me and I had to read a chapter each day. Once he bought a book that was too hard for me, and I had to look up almost every word in the dictionary. I spent about three hours on the first page of the book and then spoke English in my sleep that night.
2. You won't believe it (nobody does), but I actually did judo for a couple years as a teenager. Quite a logical choice for a girl who just graduated from a music school :)
3. If I had to choose another profession, I'd continue with my music education. I studied music for 8 years from the age of 6 till 14. Piano is my favourite instrument and my best dream has always been taking vocal classes. But for some reason every time I'd find a teacher something would happen that would make it absolutely impossible to study. So I finally came to the conclusion that the Lord has a different plan for me :)
4. I was a part of the music worship team in our church for 11 years.
5. When I was a university student we had all girls in our class and just 1 guy born on International Women's Day. No need to say that it was our favourite holiday. :)
6. The next time my husband and I have a chance to visit his relatives in Armenia I really, really, really want to visit Iran as well (it's just about 1 hour away from where we stay in Armenia). I feel a strange bond to this country. Well, it's probably not that strange since my husband was born there.
7. I absolutely love dogs and cats, but for some reason we have a turtle, a budgie, and two hamsters in the house. How did that happen I don't really know :) But I love our pets. (update from 2017: at the moment, we have a budgie, a turtle, and a cat! Finally!!!)
So what I am doing here? I am writing a blog.
What's this blog about? It's about translation, freelance business, language teaching, and Russian culture.
Who am I writing it for? I try to keep this blog useful for translators, linguists, foreign language teachers and students. However, my focus has been recently shifting more and more towards the needs of translation buyers, i.e. individual people and companies in need of translation services, especially those who need a translator but they don't know anything about the process and they don't know where to look for a specialist they need and what to expect from us, freelance translators.
If you need a translator, but you don't know what to expect from us or even how to find a good specialist, you are in the right place! You can click on the "Tips for clients" button on top of this page and you will see articles that I've already published for you. Or you can send me your questions to olga @ yourprofessionaltranslator.com and I will send you a reply as soon as I can.
So, whether you are a freelancer like me, or you are searching for a freelance professional and you've come across this blog, I'd like to welcome you here! If you have questions, or if you want to propose a topic for a new post, drop me a message at olga @ yourprofessionaltranslator.com (please delete the spaces first) and I will do my best to help you.
You can also connect with me on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.